Gordon Skiers is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of all children within its care. The Club recognises the responsibility to promote safe practice and to protect children from harm, abuse and explotiation. For the purposes of this policy and any associated procedures, a child is recognised as someone under the age of 18 years.
Gordon Skiers is run by volunteers, however all club officials, members and coaches shall work together to embrace differences and diversity amongst children and young people, respecting their rights at all times.
The governing principals of these guidelines are:
- the welfare of children is the primary concern
- all children, whatever their age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, religious beliefs, sex, sexual identity or socio-economic status, have the right to protection from all forms of harm and abuse
- child and young person protection is everyone’s responsibility ie all Gordon Members
- children have the right to express views on all matters which affect them, should they wish to do so
Gordon Skiers, including all officials, coaches and members, shall:
- promote the health and welfare of children by providing opportunities for them to undertake snowsports in a safe manner
- respect the rights, wishes and feelings of children and young persons
- promote and implement appropriate procedures to safeguard the well-being of children and protect them from all forms of abuse (mental, physical, emotional etc)
- train and support its club officials to adopt best practice to safeguard and protect children and to reduce the risk to themselves
- require all Club officials, coaches and members to adopt and abide by this Safeguarding Policy
- Respond to any and all allegations of misconduct or abuse of children in line with this Policy and other relevant Club procedures
- Implement and, where found appropriate, apply any and all relevant disciplinary measures, as per Club procedures
- Observe guidlines issues by local Safeguarding Committees e.g. Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire Councils, SSS, for the protection of children
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of this policy and any relevant procedures
Selection of Gordon Skiers Officials & Coaches
Gordon Skiers aims to ensure that all children are protected and kept safe from harm while they are with Club officials and/ or coaches. In order to achieve this, we shall ensure those people responsible for the welfare and protection of children are appropriately selected, screened and trained in the execution of these duties.
Those positions within Gordon Skiers which are nominated as Regulated Work Positions are:
- Head Coach – managing and mentoring other coaches
- all licensed coaches – unsupervised work with children
- Aspirant coaches (SSS UKDP/CP L1, BASI L1 etc) – carrying out shadowing hours, mentored coaching etc prior to licence accreditation
- Child Safeguarding Officer – giving advice to children and responsible for GDN Child Safeguarding Policy and execution
As such, all coaches shall be required to complete and submit an “application to join the PVG Scheme” or complete an “existing PVG Scheme Member Application” Scheme Record Update.
From October 2015, it is an offence to employ any person in a regulated work position without first obtaining a PVG Scheme Record or Scheme Record Update. Coaches shall therefore not be permitted to undertake unsupervised regulated work until the PVG Scheme Record or Scheme Record Update is received by Gordon Skiers.
It is an offence for any individual who is barred from undertaking regulated work, to do so. Any such occurance shall result in immediate expulsion from Gordon Skiers and notification to the relevant authorities.
It is an offence for an organisation not to refer an individual to Disclosure Scotland where any grounds for such referral have been met.
Gordon Skiers understands that in addition to making a referral (a written report) to Disclosure Scotland, child protection issues concerning paid/unpaid workers, club volunteers, children and young people must always be referred to the child protection agencies (social work dept., police etc) for appropriate investigation.
Gordon Skiers Child Safeguarding Officer
Gordon Skiers shall ensure a nominated person within the club, named as the “Child Safeguarding Officer” is responsible for child protection issues. In the first instance, any concerns or issues can be raised directly with them, either in person with the Club Safeguarding Officer or by email (supplied on your original joining email/renewal notice).
Scottish Government Child Protection Line: 0800 022 32222
Scottish Childrens Reporter: 0300 200 1555
Social Work Services Standby Service: West – 0800 811505; Edinburgh – 0800 731 6769; Highland – 0800 093 8100 (all 0800 numbers are 24hr and can provide contacts for any other area)
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
Children 1st Safeguarding in Sport: 0141 419 1150
Childline: 0141 418 5670 OR 0800 111 111
The full Gordon Skiers Child Safeguarding Policy is available on request. Please contact Gordon Skiers if you wish to receive a copy.